L-Arginine + Exercise = Healthy Weight Loss
Posted on June 17 2019
Amino acid supplements, although are typically recognized for their muscle-building effects, they contribute a few lesser known benefits.
L-Arginine is one such amino acid which has long been used as a supplement to improve sports performance and heart health. Little is what we know about its amazing benefit with regard to weight loss.
Are you curious to know how this works? Read on know more about the wonder supplement’s role in weight loss…
Let’s first get a brief info about Arginine
While not exactly an essential amino acid that the body cannot make on its own, L-Arginine is often considered as conditionally-essential, because it plays a highly important role for many functions in the body and there are times where the body isn’t able to produce enough of the required amount. Also, the amount of Arginine produced is highly dependent on age, gender, lifestyle, smoking, drinking habits, general body conditions as well as our genetics.
The Better Known Benefits Of L-Arginine
One of the biggest benefits of Arginine is in its ability to improve blood flow and circulation. It’s a nitrogenous amino acid, which in the body gets converted into nitric oxide, a compound that causes the blood vessels to open wider.
1. The improved circulation benefits immunity, fertility, detoxification and brain power.
2. Better circulation and immunity allows you to train harder and enhance physical strength and stamina.
3. Arginine stimulates the production of insulin that helps boost glucose uptake into cells to be used for growth and energy output.
4. Arginine is a glucogenic amino acid, meaning it can be converted into glucose through gluconeogenesis when the body needs them or can be digested to release energy.
5. Reduces the repair time of damaged tissues and wounds through the production of collagen and its antioxidant properties.
5. Helps the body to retain nitrogen that is essential to enhance protein synthesis and support muscle growth.
Alright! Here we come to learn about the most exciting benefit of Arginine in weight loss…
Arginine Mediates Weight Loss
Arginine aids in weight loss by burning excess fat and improving lean muscle mass. As per the research, L-Arginine potentiates the release of insulin and other hormones involved in fat metabolism and thereby aims to reduce fat mass. These hormonal changes will also create stronger metabolism which is a part of weight loss. Arginine supplementation when coupled with exercise promotes muscle protein synthesis and increases muscle mass. So, reduced fat mass and increased lean muscle mass is what you can expect with arginine1.
Boosts Nitric Oxide Levels That Aid In Weight Loss
As a precursor to Nitric Oxide (NO), Arginine elevates the formation of NO which not only supports increased blood flow but also has implications on obesity and metabolic health2. Let’s learn how?
1. Nitric Oxide increases the function of lipase, an enzyme that facilitates the breakdown of fat. NO increases the activity of biological molecules that favour the burning of fat.
2. It increases the activity of AMPK (activated protein kinase), an enzyme that plays a role in cellular energy homeostasis, activates glucose and fatty acid uptake when cellular energy is low. At the same time, it also decreases the expression of genes that support fat production.
3. It increases the activity of biological molecules that favour the burning of fat.
4. Through its vasodilation, NO promotes blood flow to insulin-sensitive areas around the body, a function that favours increased metabolism and energy expenditure.
What we can understand from this is, Arginine makes you lose only fat mass and not muscle mass.
Arginine Modulates The Genes Involved In Fat Metabolism
Arginine favours metabolism of fats to form muscle mass and thereby prevents the accumulation of fat in fat tissues. A study that was carried out on the action of Arginine supplementation specifically modulates the activity of genes3 involved in lipid metabolism in skeletal muscles and WAT (White Adipose Tissue). Arginine was shown to promote muscle mass and development and reduced body fat accumulation in animals.
Arginine Stimulates Brown Fat Development
Most of you may not be aware of this, yet true there are two main varieties of fat – White fat and Brown fat. White fat is the one that accumulates fat while the Brown fat burns them.
Arginine modulates the expression of genes in a way to prevent White fat development and promote energy expenditure4. This boosts the metabolism which serves as the prime factor in treating obesity. Arginine not only reduces the growth of White fat but also stimulates the development of Brown fat by activating precursors that aid in its development.
Complement Your Supplement Intake With Proper Diet & Exercise
L-Arginine supplement alone cannot have a large effect on weight loss by itself. Consuming low-calorie foods like vegetables, fruits, soups, salads in conjunction with regular exercise will work to improve your weight loss results.
L-Arginine’s goal of cutting is to ensure that you lose as much fat and not the muscle mass….
Link 2 ----->https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16524713
Link 4 ------>https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3151442