Impact Of Heavy Metals And Pesticides Found In Supplements
Posted on March 04 2018
Constant exposure to heavy metals and pesticides can have a detrimental effect on our overall health.
Here’s How Some Of The Heavy Metals Can Cause Damage:
1. Mercury is toxic to the central and peripheral nervous system and long-term exposure can have a big impact on brain development. It can also disrupt the digestive and immune system.
2. Cadmium and lead have been found to lower male fertility. Long-term exposure can severely affect the normal functioning of kidneys, lungs, and bones.
3. Long-term exposure to copper can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, and diarrhoea.
4. Copper is also believed to be a huge risk factor for Alzheimer’s and may also cause cancer.
5. Arsenic exposure can lead to cancer in the skin, lungs, bladder, and kidneys.
6. Pesticide exposure over long-term has been linked to the development of Parkinson’s disease, asthma, depression, anxiety, cancer, attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
The presence of these heavy metals and pesticides in supplements often exceeds the prescribed safe limits. Even though the FDA regulates the dietary supplement industry to adhere to current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMPs), certain products may find a loophole and sneak in a combination of metals and pesticides which may cause health problems over a period of time. Organic produce and dietary supplements which have been minimally processed may be the answer to this problem.