Top 5 Simple To Do Exercises That Can Help You Gain Healthy Weight
Posted on March 02 2020
What we commonly have known is that a lot of people begin an exercise program to reduce weight, little is what we hear about individuals who start exercising with the intent of gaining weight.
While losing weight is usually documented as something tough to achieve, the matter on the opposite side of the fence is treated as a non-issue.
Just like how watching your weight come down on weighing scale can be overwhelming, watching it go high might be a similar experience too. What I’m trying to inform you is, gaining weight can be as challenging as losing weight!
Today’s article is for all those that are asking us to suggest some simple exercises which will help gain weight.
Just like how a combination of the right exercise and diet pattern can help you lose weight, there are certain other combinations of exercise and diet pattern that can help gain weight.
People with a skinny and frail body structure or fast metabolism can find it difficult to gain bodyweight. While it’s true that a person’s body type is largely based on the genetic type, there are myriad causes behind not gaining weight like lifestyle, smoking, hyperthyroidism, gastrointestinal disorders among others.
Let’s understand the fast facts before we move ahead…
Understand The Real Fact
The real fact is that individuals with certain body types will easily add muscle mass while other individuals with different body types will have a harder time doing so. There are 3 primary body types – endomorph, ectomorph, and mesomorph.
An endomorph is one characterized as having an outsized bone structure, wide waist and high levels of body fat. A mesomorph is characterized as having a medium-sized bone structure, low body fat levels, wide shoulders and a narrow waist. An ectomorph is characterized as having long, thin bones, narrow shoulders and waist and low levels of body fat.
For the first two types, endomorphs and mesomorph, gaining lean muscles are relatively easy when compared to the ectomorph type.
Don’t decide yourself which body type you belong to. It is very simple to calculate if you are underweight.
How To Calculate The Body Mass Index
The BMI or the Body Mass Index helps you understand how to know you are underweight. Your BMI is your weight in kilos divided by the square of height in metres.
The normal body mass index is 18.5 to 24.9
If your BMI is anything above this range, you are overweight, and if it is less than 18.5, you are underweight.
Choosing The Right Types Of Exercises Can Help You Gain Weight Safely And Build More Lean Muscle Mass.
Push-ups are the much loved-exercise that we all have done in our childhood. It is the perfect bodyweight exercise that works the entire body in one move. Push-ups benefit strength and increased muscle mass in an effective manner.
The main advantage of this exercise is that you can do it anywhere, anytime with no equipment required.
- Start in plank position, hands directly under shoulders and fingers forward.
- Maintain a straight line from head to heel, keep elbows in as you bend them to lower your body (your chest should be an inch or two above the floor). See that your shoulders are not popping forward.
- Secure your shoulder blades together and down towards glutes as you lower, then allow them to spread apart at the top.
- Keep your abs tight, backbone tucked under and shoulders down away from ears.
- Push your torso away from the ground until your arms lock, and your body weight concentrates only on palms and toes.
- Lower yourself and then repeat.
Muscles targeted: Pectoralis Major (chest), deltoids (shoulder), triceps, serratus anterior and abdominal muscles.
Tip: Breathe in on the way down and breathe out on the way up.
Squats are one of the easiest exercises one could think of. It is one of the functional exercises that help to tone the whole body including back muscles.
- Stand straight with your feet hip-width apart.
- Your back should be straight and your knees should be centred over your feet.
- Slowly bend your knees, hips and ankles, lowering until you reach a 90-degree angle and breathe in.
- Return to the starting position and breathe out.
Muscles targeted: Abdominal muscles, quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes, and erector spinae, rectus abdominis.
A lunge is a single-leg bodyweight exercise that helps develop lower body strength and endurance. It is a kind of eccentric exercise, where your muscles stay contracted while lengthening. It is the most efficient form of strength training. Just like push-ups and squats, you use your bodyweight to perform this exercise. This exercise helps strengthen your upper body muscles and your back.
- Stand tall with your feet hip-width apart. Your shoulders should be relaxed and chin up. Engage your core while doing this exercise.
- Take a big step forward with right leg, lower your hips until your knee is at about a 90-degree angle.
- See that your right knee is directly above your ankle, not pushed too far, and make sure your left knee doesn’t touch the floor.
- Push back on your heel to lift back your body to the starting position.
- Repeat on the other side.
Muscles targeted: Hips, quadriceps, glutes, quads, hamstring, calves, core and muscles of your inner thigh.
Tip: Make sure not to put unwanted strain on your knees.
BARBELL BENCH PRESS
The Barbell bench press is a kind of pushing movement exercise which you can do with barbells. You can perform it on a flat bench, inclined bench for best results. It is a compound exercise which works multiple muscles at the same time like your chest, shoulders, helps develop shoulder stability, core stability, due to demands placed on the body to keep the bar balanced above the chest.
This exercise requires a flat bench/inclined bench to lie on and a weighted bar.
- Lie on your back on the bench. Arch the back and retract the shoulder blades.
- Position the heels back and firmly planted on the ground and knees driven out.
- Take a big deep breath.
- Press the bar up and against the rack until your arms are locked out.
- Slowly move the bar forward until the bar is directly over your chest while staying in locked out.
- Begin lowering the bar to your chest.
- You should keep your arms tucked at a 45-degree angle relative to the torso.
- Once the bar touches your chest, try to push the body into the bench and away from the bar.
- Stay tight by contracting your core and holding your breath, exhale on the top range of the movement between each rep.
- After you have performed one set, replace the bar on the rack and slide back down into a safe racked position.
DUMBBELL SHOULDER PRESS
This is yet another simple to do exercise which you can stick to do on a regular basis. It can produce significant growth of the shoulders, triceps and upper chest.
It is very important to pick the right weight dumbbells while doing this exercise because you may suddenly feel very tough halfway through a set. You can practice this one either standing or lying down on a flat/inclined bench.
- Hold the dumbbells by your shoulders with your palms facing forwards and your elbows out to the sides and bent at a 90-degree angle.
- Don’t lean back, simply extend your elbows to press the weights above your head.
- Slowly return to the starting position.
Follow these steps if you prefer to do this on a bench:
The main advantage of doing dumbbell shoulder press from a seated position is that you get complete support for your back and allows you to lift heavier than the standing version.
- Set up a bench at an incline of 30-45 degree. Sit on the bench with your feet flat on the floor and your back on the bench. (this is applicable for inclined bench).
- Lift the dumbbells to chest height with your palms facing forwards.
- Breathe out and push the dumbbells up until your arms are fully extended. This movement uses your pecs to power the movement.
- Don’t let the dumbbells touch, pause for 3 seconds at the top, then slowly bring them back down as you inhale.
You should practise these simple to do exercises at least 10 sets each regularly to find good results.
Just like weight loss, weight gain also needs to be achieved in a healthy way. This is known as clean bulk. Gaining weight in a healthy manner is a combination of healthy dietary practice and disciplined exercise routine…
In the end, weight gain is a gradual process, you’ll need to give it adequate time to see results…
If you find our post interesting, please leave your valuable comments in the comment section below.
Follow our Instagram page for the latest updates: badalkhudko